Delegation is a critical but often neglected skill. As a manager, do you feel overwhelmed with competing priorities in your job? Will the work of the project or your team stand still in your absence? Do you think no one else can do the work as well as you can?
If you answered yes to any of those questions, you are ready to learn the art of delegating! Effective delegation has many benefits to yourself and others. You will have time to strategize, reflect, and be creative. You will also be developing your staff, raising morale and motivation, building trust, stretching skills sets, and providing learning and growth opportunities.
Where to start? Learn how to delegate here, and as you start planning, use the below questions as a checklist to ensure you are on the right track!
Organizing and motivating
- Do you have a clear idea about what task(s) need(s) to and should be delegated?
- Do you know who you will delegate it to?
- Have you explained to the work team why delegation is important/ what’s in it for them and the team?
- Have you made the expected result clear?
- Have you defined clear responsibility and authority?
- Have you clarified with the work team the implementation process?
- Have you communicated clearly to those you are delegating to what they are supposed to do?
- Have you informed others about your delegation of responsibility and/or authority to help your team achieve the objectives?
- What can you improve moving forward to delegate more effectively?
For more resources: